Tuesday 8 September 2020

Hey guys! Did you know we're living in a pandemic?!

 Seriously though......I never in a million years thought I'd be saying those words.  But here we are...living and breathing in a global pandemic that no one could have imagined happening. And yet.... it did.


My kids have been at home since March 16, 2020.  It is now September 8 and they finally left for school on the bus this morning.  After SIX ENTIRE MONTHS spent at home.  

What is this craziness?!?  

When I took the annual "Back to School" photos this morning, it literally felt like I was sending them off to Kindergarten again.  All the anxiety and worry and unknowns are feeling pretty heavy for me right now.  But let me tell you.....I have never felt more anxious than when I listen to the news or read the million articles posted on the internet these days regarding how we should fight this Coronavirus.  Masks are apparently the most controversial currently.  I'm sick of hearing how a non-medical mask is going to save me from the 'rona.  I'm not a close talker.  I don't like being in another person's personal space and you can bet your a$$ I'm not gonna let someone into mine. I'm just gonna leave it at that.  My belief system is not in wearing masks, but I did send my kids on the school bus with them.  And I was sewing more masks until 9 p.m. last night because.....school rules still need to be followed for school. 

You know what? I know how to fight it.  Simplify your life.  Just be a farmer.  Or live in the bush.  Ahaha! I know it's not that simple but it's something we could all stand to aspire to-just a bit. The kids DO NOT NEED TO BE IN 10 DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES!!!!  You do not need to eat out 3-4 times a week.  Can't afford your mortgage payments on your 3200 square ft home...? Maybe your standard of living was way too high to begin with.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with chilling at home (in your 1970's built bungalow) with your family and eating a home-cooked meal around the dinner table every night.  Honestly....if this was the wake-up call that people needed to simplify their lives....you think we could have done it without shutting down the global economy?!

Our lives haven't changed much here at home & coming from a stay at home mom, that says something.  You know why? We've got work to get done.  My kids have helped me more in the past 6 months than they EVER have.  They do their chores. They help me in the garden & in the yard.  They may have fallen behind in their french language skills but they've definitely learned some life skills, and for that I'm thankful for the quarantine & lockdown.  This doesn't mean that we stayed away from others, because truthfully, we didn't.  We had playdates with close friends. We went grocery shopping (well I did-the kids sat in the car). We saw family members who were not part of our "circle" and we even hugged our GRANDMA!!!!


I'm a little exhausted by all the conflicting information that is being thrown at EVERYONE.  I hope that the fall cold & flu season doesn't cause even more world anarchy but with 2020, I just don't know. Someday, we'll look back on the chaos and think that it was sure nice to have the kids home & helping out for 6 months.

Life is always filled with chaos but I like to think that we all found a bit more simplicity amongst it all.  Our children will have hopefully learned something valuable from this COVID19 mess; whether it be learning how to cope with disappointments on SO MANY levels, or learning how to drive a lawnmower, or finding out that technology is only good if it's working, or realizing the importance of good morals, strong work ethic and family time.


I shall let you all ruminate on what I've found to be true (for myself and my family anyway) and save the rest of my thoughts for another day.  I apparently have to get to work on my to-do list; first item-drink my morning coffee without needing to warm it up in the microwave.


Until then,

Take care and stay sane!

C


No comments:

Post a Comment